Add weed to Ziggy Marley’s Jerk Chicken recipe
Ziggy Marley is not only on the cover of AARP he shared with the magazine his personal Jerk Chicken recipe. Surprisingly the recipe didn’t call for any weed at all. What a shame. How could Bob Marley’s kid leave out the not-so-secret ingredient to one of Jamaica’s most popular dishes? Especially since we know that hella seniors are smoking pot because they’re trying to fend off old age and those that aren’t smoking it could eat it. Plus Bob Marley has his own line of cannabis. Anyhow we thought we’d try and improve on the recipe that Ziggy got from his mom Rita Marley and Auntie Viola—by you guessed it—adding weed to it.
Ingredients to Ziggy Marley’s Jerk Chicken
1 whole chicken, cut into pieces
2 Scotch bonnet peppers, seeds removed*
1 tablespoon salt, or to taste
1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
1 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon nutmeg
4 garlic cloves
1½ teaspoons thyme, dried
1 teaspoon fresh thyme
½ cup scallions, chopped
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 lemon, sliced into 4 to 6 pieces
Directions to Ziggy Marley’s Jerk Chicken
1. Set aside chicken and lemon slices.
2. Using food processor, blend remaining ingredients into a paste.
3. Rub paste all over chicken.
4. Grill chicken over medium or medium-high heat for 5 to 6 minutes on each side, or until thoroughly cooked.
5 Serve with lemon slices.
Turn Marley’s Jerk Chicken into Jerky Cannabis Chicken
Bar-b-quing season is right around the corner, man and this recipe looks perfect for a warm day. So the best way to get some marijuana into Marley’s jerk chicken is to take advantage of the relationship between cannabis and coconut oil. Because coconut oil is a fat the two just love on each other so much that they form a long and lasting relationship—a permanent bond if you will. This allows for higher (we said higher) bioavailability which basically means that the weed you added will be easily and readily absorbed by your body, metabolized and then transported to where it’ll do the most good—your brain, man. If you want a deeper dive check out our post Cannabis Coconut Oil is Stuff Stoners Like—Here’s How to Make It. Anyhow here’s and overview of how to make cannabis coconut oil:
Cannabis coconut oil recipe
So to have it here in a nice list, what you’ll need to make cannabis infused coconut oil is this:
Not much goes into making this cannabutter coconut oil stuff so here are the steps.
- Chop up the weed and drop it in some pyrex and cover it all with foil nice and tight like your trying to suffocate Jeff Sessions.
- Slam that into an over at 240F and watch two episodes of Judge Judy. Some people say less heat or not as long or that Judge Judy is fake—it’s all up to you.
- Once done pull it outta the over and leave it alone to cool—meaning keep it covered. Oh yeah…this process is called decarboxylation and it’s the process that transforms the THCA in raw flowers into actual THC, you know the stuff that’ll get you high.
- Melt the coconut oil until its a liquid like Arnold Swarzenegger in the Terminator.
- Remove the foil and sprinkle a half teaspoon of soy lecithin over the herb.
- Pour the melted coconut oil over the trim, mix it up, and toss it back in the oven, this time for about 45 minutes at around 220F.
- Take it out. Let the cannabis coconut oil concoction cool enough to mix the material around with a spoon.
- Add the other half teaspoon of lecithin. Mix more. This will expose more cannabinoids to the oil they want to suck face with.
- Cover that pan back up and put it in the oven, at 220F for another half hour or so.
- Let it cool and your done.
Now that you have your weed infused coconut oil, take a couple bong hits and then use the canna coconut oil in Marley’s Jerk Chicken recipe instead of that boring-ass regular coconut oil. That shit ain’t gonna get you high.
For more Ziggy Marley recipe check out his book that came out in October last year, Ziggy Marley and Family Cookbook. Now that you know how to make cannabis coconut oil you could transform a lot of Ziggy’s recipes into tasty edibles.
Ohhh you know what would be good with Marley’s Jerky Cannabis Chicken recipe? Of course a few spliffs but also beer. In Jamaica they take a few Red Stripe beers and pour ’em over a pitcher of ice. Then add some lime, simple syrup aka sugar water, some fresh shreaded mint leaves and you’ve got one hell of a crisp cool beverage to go with that hot-ass chicken.
Think you’ll make Marley’s Jerk Chicken recipe with weed in it? If you do, let us know how it turns out in the comments section below.