Recreational Weed in Washington—Here’s What You Need to Know

Recreational Weed in Washington—Here's What You Need to KnowRecreational weed sales begin in Washington starting tomorrow. Early this morning the state’s Liquor Control Board issued the first two dozen retail marijuana licenses giving shop owners and growers very little time to coordinate their efforts and prepare for history in the making.

To help a STONER out, we scoured the interwebs and put together this hella handy Q&A, taken from various websites including KOIN, the Olympian, and, designed to help you navigate Washington’s new weed world.

Q: When can I buy legal weed?

A: Tuesday morning. The state’s Liquor Control Board issued the first two dozen retail marijuana licenses late last night. Once stores get their licenses, they can place their orders with the state’s licensed growers, who then have to wait 24 hours before they ship the marijuana.

Q: Where can I buy legal weed?

A: So far the board has said a few stores were ready to open in Spokane, Tacoma, Bellingham and Vancouver and Seattle.

Q: How many stores will there be?

A: Statewide, 334 retail applications were accepted pending final inspections. In Pierce County, the state will allow 31 stores including 17 at-large, one each in Bonney Lake and University Place, two each in Lakewood and Puyallup and eight in Tacoma. The state will allow 11 stores in Thurston County, including six at-large, two each in Lacey and Olympia and one Tumwater.

Q: How much will marijuana cost me to buy?

A: The Office of Financial Management places a price estimate of $12 per gram. Medicinal marijuana dispensary prices on average range between $10 and $15 per gram with some premium products exceeding $15 per gram. Based on average retail mark-up practices, estimated producer price is $3 per gram and estimated processor price is $6 per gram.STICKY UK weed

Q: Will those medicinal stores close?

A: Not yet and maybe never, depending on what the Legislature decides.

Q: What about marijuana-infused food and beverages?

A: They are legal, but the state must approve all products. No such approvals have been announced, so don’t expect any for sale on Tuesday.

Q: Will marijuana be taxed?

A: A 25 percent excise tax attaches at each stage, from the grower, then the processor, then the retailer.

Q: Can a retail seller deliver to customers?

A: No.

Q: Where can I smoke?

A: No pot in national parks, indoor workplaces including bars, restaurants, bowling alleys and skating rinks. No private residences used to provide childcare, foster care, adult care or other social service. Depending on your lease, no smoking in the home or apartment you rent. Hotels, which can allow 25 percent of their rooms to harbor smokers, will set their own policies concerning marijuana.

Q: How much can I buy?

A: You may possess one ounce of marijuana, 16 ounces of infused products or 72 ounces of liquid infused product. A single transaction of concentrates is limited to seven grams.

Q: Will retailers be advertising?

A: Retailers may advertise under controlled conditions: they may not advertise within 1,000 feet of schools, public parks, transit centers (bus stops don’t count), arcades or other area where children may be present. Advertising may not discuss curative or therapeutic effects of the product, and every ad, in whatever form, must say that marijuana can be both intoxicating and habit-forming. Also, the ad must admonish consumers against driving or operating machinery while under the influence.

Q: How much pot will be produced?

A: Washington is capping total production at 80 metric tons.

Q: Legally, how much marijuana can I carry on me?

A: Individuals 21 years of age or older are legally authorized to possess and use marijuana, related paraphernalia and any combination of: One ounce of useable marijuana, 16 ounces of marijuana infused product in solid form; or 72 ounces of marijuana infused product in liquid form.

beautiful big bud of marijuanaQ: Can my work legally drug test me?

A: I-502 does not address the topic of drug testing but it is the state’s understanding that employers may still conduct drug testing at their discretion.

Q: Can I take my marijuana on a road trip?

A: No. Marijuana products must be consumed in Washington.

Q: What is considered too much before I drive?

A: I-502 sets a per se DUI limit of “delta-9” THC levels at greater than or equal to 5 nanograms per milliliter of blood (5 ng/mL).

Q: Can I grow plants at home?

A: No. Recreational use marijuana must be purchased from a state-licensed retailer.

Leave a Reply