In the United States, the cannabis market has grown over the years. It has a large and competitive market.
Cannabis is present in the pharmaceutical industry, particularly in some medicines and ointments. The cosmetic industry was also able to develop make-ups with cannabis. Some companies such as this Michigan edibles company also ventured into the food and beverages industry.
Here are some of the things you should know about cannabis:
Cannabis vs. Marijuana
Many people interchange cannabis and marijuana. Generally, there is no difference between cannabis and marijuana. But cannabis and marijuana do not mean the same thing.
Cannabis refers to products from a plant called Cannabis sativa. A cannabis product contains about 540 chemical substances.
According to the National Institute of Drug Abuse, marijuana is a product from the Cannabis sativa plant. Marijuana is famous for its many slang names such as weed, pot, herb, grass, bud, ganja, and Mary Jane.
The product contains an amount of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). THC is responsible for the intoxicating effect that it gives to people.
Hemp has the same species as the cannabis plant. Hemp differed from cannabis as hemp contains less than 0.3% level of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).
Hemp seed contains proteins, fats, and other chemicals. Many believe that hemp can help in the following:
- treating constipation and other stomach aches
- used as a topical medicine for eczema
- arthritis and pain in the joints
- help slow blood clotting
- helps to lower blood pressure
A Cannabinoid is a compound from the Cannabis sativa plant. The compound delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (Δ9-THC) is the most well-known among these compounds. The cannabinoids have the following classes:
- phytocannabinoids or the plant-derived cannabinoids
- endocannabinoids or the endogenous cannabinoids
- synthetic cannabinoids
Commonly used cannabinoids
Here are some common cannabinoids:
- medical cannabis
- butane hash oil
- synthetic cannabinoids
Effects of cannabinoids
Cannabinoids are usually smoked, eaten, and vaporized. There are different effects of cannabinoids on people. The effects include:
- feeling high or euphoria
- ecstatic feelings
- increase in appetite
- weight loss
- the reflective and quiet mood
- uncontrolled laughing and excitement
Cannabidiol or CBD
Cannabidiol is an active ingredient from the cannabis hemp plant. CBD does not contain tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).
In the United States, the medicinal and recreational use of CBD is legal in 17 states. CBD for specific medical purposes is legal in 10 states. In some states where CBD is still illegal. The federal states include South Dakota, Nebraska, and Idaho.
Different CBD products are now available in the market, this includes:
- CBD oils
- CBD gummies
- CBD pills and capsules
- CBD topicals like lotions, salves, and creams
- Skin care products made from CBD like acne and scar treatments, bath bombs and shampoos, and beauty products
CBD vs. THC
CBD and THC are compounds found in cannabis and affect the endocannabinoid system. CBD and THC are both used for treating medical conditions.
People are using CBD for the following medical conditions:
- anxiety and depression
- inflammatory bowel diseases
- migraines and mental disorders
THC has the potential treatment for the following conditions:
- sleep deprivation and insomnia
- vision loss or glaucoma
- muscle spasticity
- low appetite
Risks of using cannabis
Just like any other drug, there are risks to using cannabis. The risks include:
- impairment in people’s judgments
- effects on the immune system
- higher risks of cancer
- memory loss
- gum diseases
- addiction to cannabis
People who use cannabis may develop marijuana use disorder or addiction disorder. A study shows that 30 of 100 cannabis users have developed an addiction.
Here are the following signs of cannabis addiction:
- excessive use of cannabis
- extensive craving for cannabis
- failing to quit using cannabis even though you are trying
- using cannabis in risky situations
- withdrawal symptoms like weight loss and stressful state
Leave a Reply