STUFF STONERS LIKE teamed-up with expert herb growers, Dru West and The West Coast Masters, a highly secretive and very successful group of medical marijuana cultivators from California, Oregon, and Washington to answer your marijuana grow questions!
Dru and the Masters have recently published “The Secrets of the West Coast Masters – Uncover the Ultimate Techniques for Growing Medical Marijuana” and now he and his team have agreed to answer your marijuana growing questions and divulge a few of their secrets to maximizing your yeilds right here on this very blog! Got a mite problem, leaves turning brown, have no clue what ph is or can’t tell the difference between male of female marijuana plants (female marijuana plants don’t have Adam’s apples)…well, then you’re in luck!
If you or your plants are just dying to know something…or you want to learn a secret or two about masterful growing…drop us a question at stuffstonerslike [at] yahoo.com (put “Ask the Masters” in the subject line) and we’ll publish the answer to your question.
Leave a Reply
8 Responses to “Have a Growing Question? Ask the Masters”
This should be an excellent addition to the site for growers of all stripes.
leaves that seem to curl in and are not flat while in the flowering stage
I LIVE IN CENTRAL CA. I HAVE A LOT OF KUSHES FLOWERING .WHAT DO I DO TO MAKE SURE THEY PRODUCE BIG SEXY BUDS?THEY ARE OUT DOORS HAD A LIGHT ON THE FOR AWILE AND THEY STILL FLOWERD EARLY.A COUPLE ARE STILL VEGGING.THEY ARE BIG, CANT WAIT FOR THEM TO FLOWER. WHEN WILL THEY START TO FLOWER?DO YOU HAVE ANY ADVICE ON SELLING TO THE STORES CANT REALLY GET A STRAIGHT ANSWER FROM ANYBODY I HAVE A REG LICENCE. WOULD LIKE TO GET PRODUCERS LICENCE. DO YOU HAVE ANY ADVICE?I NEED MORE PLANTS.I WANT TO MAKE BUTTER FOR THE STORES.
right on, man…danks for the question…we’ll send it off to Drew and post it asap!
Here is my question. I’m running a closet-style hydro setup. I’ve got approximately 2′ x 3′ of grow space, and have a ScRoG system in place to, of course, maximize my limited area. I’m running a 150 watt HPS and 175 watt MH simultaneously. They are encased, so I am able to keep them within inches of the buds without burning. I know my light power isn’t excessive or ideal, but it is adequate. The savings in electric is worth the trade off for me at this time. I’ve got 6 plants going, 9 weeks into the flower cycle so they should be reaching peak potency anytime between now and the end of the month. I flushed everything at 7 weeks and harvested about 7 of the ripest branches at 8 weeks. They look, and smelled absolutely wonderful, just like they should. My problem is, the odor now. After 3 or 4 days of drying the branches, the beautiful, sweet “skunk” smell that so pleased me, has dissipated. It has been replaced by a much more “spicy and herby” smell. I trimmed and cut the buds from the branches, and during the disturbance, lo and behold, the skunk smell returned. Upon curing for a few hours in a sealed glass jar, the “herby” smell came back, until I broke it up again. This is my second harvest. My first batch was a soil grow and let’s say it was nothing short of disasterous. I made just about every newbie mistake you could, and my plants began to die at 6 weeks flower so I was forced to harvest far to early. I had the same issue with the first batch, the spice and herb smell, except there was no skunk and sweet smell when it was cut or broken up like these buds have. I’m just wondering if this is a normal issue, a product of early harvest, or if I’m doing something seriously wrong. I’ve come a long way from the first try and I believe I have a very solid setup. The first plants that died and I was forced to harvest early had a weak high that lasted only a half an hour or so, they were a dismal product of a poorly thought out system. These buds now however, have a strong, not incredible buzz that is almost purely cerebral. It lasts for about 2-3 hours, all head high with no body buzz. This is due to the early harvest, as they aren’t at peak potency. I’ve got 3 lemon haze plants that are still flowering. The plant I harvested from is simply from a generic bag seed I kept, as were my first plants. I’m not sure if those seeds were from the same bag, but it is possible. I’m just wondering if the ‘spice and herb’ smell is anything to worry about, if its a product of the harvest time, or even the particular strain. Thanks for your help!
I recently bought your book and it was a good read. It had a lot of information I did not know and some I did know. It would have been nice to have more diagrams and larger pictures instead of the little thumbnail type pictures.
I have a couple of questions for you.
1. Concerning the screen: I have put a screen level with the growing medium specifically to have something to tie the plants down to with my green insulated copper wire. It gives me a place to tie my bended plant to and allows me to direct the plant in the same direction as I will want it to go on the above ScrOG screen later. Does this sound like a good idea to you?
2. Due to having only one small grow room, I only do one grow from start to finish, every 5 months or so and I am accustomed to growing 10 plants per grow. Which I’ve usually gotten a pound and a half from with little to know training to the plants other than a little bending to get secondary branches to produce. Are you certain that by following your book I will get a pound per plant, (I can even live with a half pound per plant), but I don’t want to spend four months growing far fewer plants than I normally do, and then not get nearly the yield I had expected from having read your book.
3. Do you let the plant come through the screen and then tie it down to the top of the screen or do you keep it under the screen and just let each bud site come through the screen? I’m thinking that I want to keep it under the screen and work the timing so as to have a bud site come through each hole in the screen and in the end it will simply look like this big screen with a bunch of buds standing on it.
4. In order for me to keep optimal temperature and humidity at the screen, I have to keep my lights 44 inches from the screen and this leaves them at 58 inches from the seedlings. I know this is too far away. I have 1080 watts each over two screens sized 4′ x4′. inside a room that is 9′ x 7′. Each screen is 16 sq. ft. so that comes out at 67.5 watts per grow. The room is 63 sq. ft. so that comes out to 34.25 watts per sq. ft. in the room. Now all the lights are centered directly over the two screens, but they do illuminate the whole room. I also painted the entire room including the floor a flat white. I do have a couple rolls of mylar, should I hang the mylar on the walls or is the flat white paint good enough? And do I have enough wattage?
Now as for the distance the lights are from the screen 44 inches and the seedlings 58 inches. I intend to leave those lights where they are due to wanting to keep optimal temperature and humidity at the screen height. In the mean time I will be hanging another 340 watts of light, below the existing lights and as close to the seedling as possible without burning it of course. There will be two seedlings in the room, one under each 4′ x 4′ screen. Once they reach the screen I will either remove or raise these lights. I think it will be removal because I’m running out of room to put them up along side of all the other lights.
5. I have cool outdoor, (as in outside not in the next room), air coming into the room and I am exhausting hot air from the room into a 640 sq. ft. basement which the room is a part of. Do you think this should keep CO2 levels at a good level. I’ve heard of adding CO2 to the room but it sounds quite complicated and/or costly and possibly not worth the trouble.
How am I doing here? Any suggestions or advice would be greatly apprecited. This is my first ScrOG.
Thank you for your help and advice.
Is it practical to grow in a storage unit in witch the floor space is 5ft. wide and 30ft. long, and 6ft. high ceiling? If so, what is the best way to set it up? Will I be able to keep the environment the same threw out the length of the unit? I have only used square spaces in the past.
I am in the beginnings of following your methods in your book, I am hung up on how large the tables need to be. 3 in the veg would be 2’x4′ but do I make then tables in the grow wider? Are the two 6′ tables also wider, or 2′ wide as well.